Passengers with disabilities who cannot use the regular buses must be approved for Paratransit service in order to use it. It's a simple process and only takes a few minutes, please call 877-232-7433 or if you have interned access visit the ADA Ride website to fill out the application. If you are approved you will be notified by mail.
What It Is
Paratransit is a complimentary curb-to-curb transit service that requires customers to make a reservation to get service. It is not taxi service but a shared ride public transportation service where you and others are assigned bus service according to where you want to go. Paratransit service is available in every city, community, and township in Merced County.
Hours of Operation
Paratransit is open for service between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Friday basis and between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
If you no longer need your ride please cancel 2 hours prior to your pick-up time
Paratransit service is restricted for the use of persons with disabilities who are unable to navigate the fixed route services of The Bus without special assistance.
Senior citizens age 65 and older have access to the Atwater / Winton Taxi Scrip Program.
A NO-SHOW occurs when a scheduled or subscription pick-up has not been previously canceled two hours prior to the scheduled pick-up time/or the bus arrives for a passenger who does not take the ride due to something reasonably avoidable.
The driver will contact The Bus dispatch office in an attempt to reach the passenger by telephone but will not wait longer then 305 min. depending on ambulatory or not.
if the initial trip was a NO-SHOW, The Bus will log two phone calls in an effort to determine if the passenger desires the remaining return trip. If the passenger cannot be contacted, the remaining return trip will be canceled. Passengers who did not take a schedule trip but still want the schedules return trip, should call The Bus to confirm the need for the return trip as soon as possible by calling (209) 384-3111.
Excessive no-shows that are a pattern may result in suspension of riding privileges. Five NO-SHOWS within a one-month period may constitute a pattern or practice.
NO-SHOWS result in the following consequences:
Notification by phone when NO-SHOW occurs
Notification by phone when scheduling next trip
1st warning letter regarding previous NO-SHOWS and policy
2nd Warning letter regarding possible suspension
7 to 30 day riding privileges suspended depending on previous history.
Please make sure you are ready and waiting for The Bus 15 minutes prior to the requested pick up time to avoid a no show.
If you are having trouble accessing Paratransit service or have concerns with our service, please call The Bus' administration at 209-723-3100.
- The Bus suggests your wheelchair be in good working order.
- Attendants that assist Paratransit passengers are allowed to ride free only if they assist the passenger on and off The Bus and make the same trip as the passenger they are attending.
- Advance reservations of 24 hours or even a week before you need a ride are strongly encouraged. This is especially true if you need a regular ride and return on a daily basis.
- Be clear and direct about where you are and where you want to go when calling for service. Provide the dispatchers with exact street addresses whenever possible. This helps us avoid mistakes on your pick up or your destination.
- The Bus can arrive 5 minutes before or 30 minutes after your promised pick up time.
- Have your fare or pass ready as you board.